Thoroughbred Auto Care
11011 Scaggsville Rd
Laurel, MD 20723
Phone: (301) 317-7886
Hours M-F 7:30am-5:30pm
Auto Repair 20723
The Summer Trip
So you're getting ready to hit the Road. Let’s make a Check list:
- Pack Suitcase, Check!
- Contact family & friends with details of your travels, Check!
- Phone, I-pod, chargers for all? Check!
It is finally time to head out on the long overdue road trip you’ve been dreaming about. So I made up a little check list to save you headaches down the road & maybe even save you a few dollars too.
With Help from my main Tire Brand, Continental.
Let's tell you what you should look at:
- 1st Under pressure - According to the Rubber Manufactures Association(RMA), only 15% of drivers know how to properly check tire pressure. Why you may ask is tire inflation important? Under inflated tires cause U.S. drivers to waste 1.2 Billion gallons of fuel annually. You can improve fuel efficiency by 3-5% with correctly inflated tires. Also under inflated tires run hot & can cause a Blow-out without warning.
- 2nd Don’t forget the Spare - 90% of all spares tires never get checked & are either Flat, or so low that they can’t be driven once installed. Some are even missing completely . Check your spare before you pack the trunk !
- 3rd Penny for your thoughts - Proper tread depth is essential to prevent hydroplaning and skidding. Minimum tread depth is 2/32. Simply place a penny upside down into the tread groove, if you can see all of Lincolns head ,it is time for new tires
- 4th A jolt - Hitting a pothole or curb can put a front end out of alignment and quickly damage tires. Have the Alignment checked before hitting the road.
- 5th Switch it up - The guide line for tire rotation is 5,000-8,000 rotating tires regularly will help you achieve more uniform wear & extend the life of your Tires.
- 6th Don’t pack on extra pounds - According to RMA every 200lbs of weight we pack in reduces fuel economy by 1 full MPG.
- 7th Bob & Weave - The road to vacation or anywhere for that matter, includes potential hazards along the way. Be sure to avoid potholes, debris in the road, fast stops and starts, driving over curbs, all of these can cause trouble for your tires, bring tears and a quick end to your vacation.
If you need to replace one or more tires before your vacation it is important that they match the existing tires.
If your not sure swing by, Stephen or Jon will do a courtesy look at your tires, let's be safe & have Fun this Summer.
Call us to schedule